Old Habits Die Hard


My old job has been tougher to extract myself from than I thought it would be. Last week I worked a half day at the office, and then I went to the store and worked until about 8:30 pm. The usual stress-inducers were present (i.e., terrible customers who leave 15 minutes after the store has closed), and I missed my dose of medication; but one day isn’t going to kill me, right? I did this job 40+ hours a week for more than a year, so no biggie. Then I woke up early the next morning and went back to the store at 8 am. It was busy, and I was on my feet all day. More of the usual stress-inducers were present (See: grabbing blood-stained rompers by the crotch). I was so ready to go home, apparently, that I left an hour earlier than I was scheduled to. It didn’t even occur to me that I’d left early until I’d gotten home!

I closed out the week by working at the office, and I was happy to be there. I had a long list of things to try to accomplish by the end of the day since I’d missed a day and a half. But I felt the old familiar lead in my legs each time I tried to ascend the stairs, and I just couldn’t get comfortable in my chair. I kept stretching my neck and my back, making popping noises like bubble packaging. I had difficulties concentrating, and I forgot where I’d saved certain files, even though I’d just saved them and had been accessing them for the past hour.

My husband picked me up from work so we could go straight to our friend’s engagement party in a town more than 2 hours away. Traffic extended our travel time to 3 hours, so by the time we got there I was ready for a nap. Being around everyone, of course, helped energize me; I had a great time. The original plan was to drive to my in-law’s and spend the night; however, the celebrating went into the wee hours, so we decided to stay at the party. I’m not a late-nighter anymore, so I’d been ready to go since midnight rolled around. By 2 am, I’d curled up on the corner of a couch and dozed off while everyone alternated between the backyard and the pool room. By 5 am, even the late-nighters thought better of staying up to see the sun rise, and our friend dragged his fiancee off of the love seat to go to bed. I snatched the blanket she’d left behind and went back to sleep on the couch I’d claimed for myself. My husband laid down on the floor next to me, using his jacket as a blanket.

I awoke–inexplicably–at 9 am. The house was silent. My joints were stiff, and I wandered throughout the first floor of the house, seeking out bowls of snack foods left out from the party. Honey-roasted peanuts? Sure! Reese’s cupcakes? Oh yeah. I took my medicine and bided my time while the household slowly came out of its coma. Eventually, my husband and I made our way back home, and I was exhausted! I canceled plans to go a friend’s house-warming party that evening so I could recuperate. I went to bed early, and I woke up feeling like a rusty Tin Man. I flaked on hiking with my friend today. So here I am, in my PJs (it’s after 3 pm), and I’ve accomplished nothing! Clean the bathroom: nope. Do taxes: noooo. Grocery store: no. Hunched in front of my laptop: okay.

I’m working in the stores 3 days next week, so I have a feeling my exercise regiment is going to be derailed, to say the least. But after this week, no more! I can look forward to really truly having an un-stressful office job that doesn’t require so much of me physically and emotionally. But until then… eh.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

  • Member of The Internet Defense League

%d bloggers like this: